Storytelling is a creative journey that requires a thorough understanding of the central topic and different categories that are closely related to it. When it comes to visualizing, most students and creative artists go ahead with a mind map for storytelling. Such visual representations not only help visualize the entire story but streamline the process, which comes in handy when they actually execute the story.
In this article, we will talk about the benefits of using a mind map for storytelling and learn the easiest way to create one using the free templates provided by EdrawMind. Before we delve into the world of mind maps for storytelling and harness the power of mind maps, let us understand story mind maps in detail and what are the benefits of creating such intrinsic diagrams.
In this article
What is a Story Mind Map
A story mind map is a visual representation of different narrative elements and the overall structure that defines the story or the plot. Such visual elements have proven to be a dynamic tool that bridges the gap between imagination and execution.
Like any other mind map with a central idea, branches, sub-branches, and association between different branches, a story mind map also comes with interconnected branches and nodes that transform complex stories into reader-friendly visual diagrams. To put it simply, story mind mapping is the first stage to take when planning to write down a story or create a narrative structure.
How to Use a Mind Map for Storytelling
Using a mind map for storytelling is a creative, analytical, and strategic process that can enhance your narrative development and ensure you do not meet any bottlenecks in the execution phase.
- To Categorize: The mind map lets you add different branches and subbranches per the central topic. When you use a mind map for storytelling, you find different creative ways to categorize the subtopics that elevate your theme effectively.
- To Brainstorm: Mind mapping is a great way to brainstorm. When you are using it for storytelling, try inviting your peers to brainstorm different ideas.
- To Organize: Mind mapping tools like EdrawMind provide efficient ways to add summaries or boundaries to subtopics or phrases. This lets you easily organize your unstructured thoughts and streamline the storytelling process.
- To Find Association: With mind mapping, you can find relationships between ideas and subtopics. By adding associations between different topics, you can easily understand the dependency of one segment over the other.
- To Track Progress: Storytelling depends on your story's narrative, plot development, and overall structure. You might find delays or unnecessary bottlenecks, and by using mind maps for storytelling, you can easily track such work progress and find the issues that might hamper the execution.
Benefits of Mind Map for Storytelling
Mind maps for storytelling significantly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your narrative development. Over the last couple of years, mind maps have become a go-to tool for all novelists and storytellers for being a streamlining tool that helps in improving overall creativity.
- A mind map helps the authors and storytellers maintain a clear focus on the central story, preventing irrelevant plot developments.
- Storytellers can easily plan and outline their narratives with mind maps in place.
- A mind map is a visual technique to understand the narrative's flow. With visual elements in place, storytellers can easily grasp the overall narrative and identify any inconsistencies.
How to Create a Story Mind Map Using EdrawMind?
As you must have understood by now, a story mind map is essential for visualizing the narrative structure. At the same time, it fosters creativity and maintains a clear overview of the story's elements. That being said, creating a mind map for story summary can be a tiresome process if you go ahead with the traditional approach.
- Launch EdrawMind: When you start creating a story mind map using EdrawMind, the first step that you need to follow is to download, install, and launch this free mind mapping tool in your system. Once launched, log in using your registered email address to access all the astounding features.
- Access Templates: EdrawMind comes with free story mind map templates. Head to MindMap Gallery from the homepage > look for a story mind map in the Search bar at the top > check all the available free templates. Once you have finalized the mind map template based on your preferences, click on Duplicate to instantly duplicate the entire content to your EdrawMind canvas.
- Add Categories: Once you have imported the built-in template to your mind-mapping canvas, start adding the topics, subtopics, and categories as per your story or narrative arc. Use EdrawMind's features to add different boundaries or summaries to different categories.
- Add Associations: Use the Relationship feature of EdrawMind to add different associations between topics and subtopics. This way, you can learn which two or more topics are interconnected and inspire one another.
- Customize To Share: EdrawMind has many customization options that ensure your story mind map looks unique and impressive. Head to the right context menu and change connectors, fonts, theme, background, and other aspects per your preference. You can even import images to add to your story mind map for better visualization.
Example of Story Mind Map
The following story mind map example is created in EdrawMind and illustrates the three acts of any story -- Beginning, Middle, and Closing. In the Beginning section, we have added the characters and story's setting. In the Middle section, you will find Challenges, Motivation, and Obstacles to achieving the goals. In the last Closing section, we have added the Climax and Outcome part.
As illustrated in this free story mind map template, you can add different settings per your narrative and work around to add more categories.
Story Mind Map Software
When it comes to mind mapping, it is highly recommended to go ahead with software. Using software eases your process and ensures you can revisit the diagram anytime to make any adjustments.
These days, there are several mind mapping tools that offer feasibility to users, but EdrawMind is one such tool that is user-friendly and comes with the latest features required to create a story mind map seamlessly.
- Edraw AI: This mind mapping software now comes with AI assistance that generates the texts and helps create story mind maps.
- Free Templates: EdrawMind has a vast collection of free templates for every aspect. In the MindMap Gallery section, you will find the templates for science, arts, networking, project management, and more.
- Customization: This story mind map software offers some modern customization options that let you design a unique mind map every time.
Creating a mind map for storytelling is a great way to visualize the plot, summary and understand the characters in detail. By creating story mind maps, authors and storytellers can understand the story's overall flow and the significant changes they need to make before they start writing down the story. As you saw in this article, EdrawMind is a mind-mapping tool that lets you create a story mind map in just a few clicks. Download this mind-mapping tool today and enhance your creativity.
How do you write a mind map for a story?Begin with a central idea or theme and branch out to key story elements like plot, characters, objectives, and themes. Connect and expand these branches by adding details, modifying colors, and inserting images.
What are the elements of a novel mind map?A novel mind map or a book mind map includes different branches for characters, plot points, settings, themes, and any other significant elements that contribute to the story's structure.
What makes a good story mind map?A good story mind map is well-organized and visually engaging. It effectively represents the story's elements and connections, which aids in creativity and serves as a dynamic tool for the planning and execution of the story.